Home Visiting Service
General Practice is continuing to evolve and our practices are offering a wider skill mix of clinicians than ever. Most practices employ a Practice Nurse and / or Health Care Assistant and some have Nurse Practitioners, Community Pharmacists, Minor Illness Nurses and Women’s Health Nurses which offer a whole range of skills for problems that do not necessarily require a GP.
Epping and Ongar Neighbourhood, consisting of The Limes, Epping High Street, Abridge Surgery and Ongar Health Centre have appointed Joanne Townsend, an Extended Care Practitioner (ECP) to carry out home visits. This will mean that visits are accepted as usual by each practice and triaged by a Doctor at Abridge Surgery who will then allocate appropriate visits to the Home Visiting Service. If a prescription is needed then the ECP will liaise with the Doctor at Abridge Surgery for it to be sent electronically to the chemist for collection.
When you speak to the receptionist about your visit they will let you know who to expect – the ECP or a GP from Abridge Surgery.
The number of visits the service is able to offer will be allocated fairly between each of the practices depending on the list size of the Practice and the location of the visit.
Out Of Hours
The West Essex GP extended access service offers some additional, pre-booked appointments at convenient times to suit your needs. It is run by Herts Urgent Care (HUC) offers appointments to you either with a GP, nurse or Health Care Assistant.
When the surgery is closed
The surgery telephone lines are available on 01992 812 961 and are open daily from 8.00am - 6.30pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and on Wednesdays 8.00am – 1.00pm.
- Emergency cover is provided between 1.00 - 6.30pm on a Wednesday by PELC.
- Between the hours of 6.30pm and 8am and at weekends or Bank Holidays please replace the handset and dial NHS 111 - if you require urgent medical attention.
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls to this service are free from both landlines and mobiles.
Evening and weekend appointments
You can see a GP or another healthcare professional on weekday evenings and weekends. To book an appointment, please call the surgery on 01992-812-961.
To find out more about the service, including the treatment centres where you may be seen, please go to https://hucweb.co.uk/services/gp-extended-access/
Cancelling a GP extended access appointment.
If you have booked an evening or weekend appointment in West Essex via the surgery and need to cancel or change it, please ring NHS111 and select option 3.
Where are the GP Extended Access treatment centres?
- Lister Medical Centre, Abercrombie Way, Harlow, Essex CM18 6YJ
- Dunmow Community Clinic, Dunmow, Essex, CM6 1BH
- St Margarets Hospital, The Plain, Epping, Essex, CM16 6TN
- Saffron Walden Community Hospital, Radwinter Road, Essex, CB11 3HY
- Stansted Surgery 1st Floor, Castle Maltings, Lower Street, Stansted, Essex, CM24 8XG
- Loughton Health Centre, 14 The Drive, Loughton, Essex, IG10 0HW
- Waltham Abbey Health Centre, Market Square Surgery, Waltham Abbey, Essex, EN9 1NP
- Ongar Health Centre, Fyfield Road, Ongar, Essex, CM5 0AL
You can choose to book an appointment at any of these locations, when available.
Health Help Now – for free local help and advice
Need health help and advice? Our FREE local NHS app and web site Health help Now gives detailed advice and guidance on the most common ailments and symptoms. The tool also recommends the best place for treatment – showing which nearby services are open.
Patients can access the site here or download it from the App Store or Google Play.
For more information please click here
Click here to view our normal opening hours.